Lamda Development said on Tuesday that the long-awaited works on the development of the Elliniko complex will begin in February, while preliminary works have already started, according to a presentation of its masterplan that highlighted steps to be taken until 2025 in what will be a smart, green city for Athens.
In order to expedite the start of work, Lamda's management has carried out the necessary studies before the transfer of the area from the state was completed, while the tender for the selection of construction companies is already underway, with the prospect of being completed by the end of year.
Also, many preliminary projects have been completed or are in the final phase, such as the demolition of old buildings, checks for mines from military experts, the measurement of noise and air pollution, the creation of a protection zone for the three protected hangars with the restoration of the third shed, the cleaning of Agios Kosmas beach and works for the protection of the fauna.
The most important projects coming up are:
- The creation of a network of routes over 50 km for pedestrians and cyclists.
- The underground stretch of Poseidonos Avenue in Agios Kosmas with the construction of a pedestrian bridge of high aesthetics.
- Projects for management of natural phenomena (flood protection, rainwater management, etc.).
- Projects for street lighting and environmental monitoring.
- Formation of the coastal front with a beach open to all.
- Upgrading of the marina of Agios Kosmas for the welcoming larger boats.
- Configuration of a friendly and accessible city for the disabled with the creation in 2023 of a special center.
- Connection of the archeological sites through a 12 km route.
- Residential and commercial developments, with high quality housing.
- Landscaping of the park in an area of over 2 million sq.m.
In the next presentation, the management of Lamda will refer to the construction of the large shopping center on Vouliagmeni Avenue.
"A modern green city is being created"
As stressed during the presentation, the CEO of Lamda Development, Odysseas Athanassiou said:
- “Elliniko has started and by 2025 a large part of it will be ready, so that all citizens can experience it and feel proud. An area that today is difficult to access and cut off from the urban fabric will be transformed in the coming years, exclusively with private funding, into a modern green city that we can all visit and enjoy. Elliniko is the first area in Greece that will be developed from the beginning as a smart city, with advanced infrastructure and innovative technologies, while it was designed to be environmentally sustainable and resistant to climate change ".
Dimitris Zontanos, Chief Planning & Construction Officer, stated:
- “Elliniko changes the architectural and urban philosophy of Athens. The dominance of green and open spaces, the access to modern infrastructures that include schools, sports facilities, health and welfare services but also places of entertainment and recreation, the adoption of strict principles of environmental planning and the connection with the surrounding areas so that it is easily accessible to everyone."
Infrastructure projects over 500 million euros
In the context of the creation of a modern city that will be friendly to the environment and the citizens, Lamda Development plans, as it emphasizes in its announcement, to fully finance a series of infrastructure projects of public benefit, which will serve the residents of Elliniko and of neighboring areas.
Green spaces - Infrastructures for sports, culture
The protection of the environment and the creation of green spaces is a priority in the overall design of the project. More than 70% of the total area of 6.2 million sq.m., will be covered by parks, lakes, gardens, common and outdoor areas of activity, while in residential areas the common and public areas will exceed 50%.
The greenest development of the project is the Park of Elliniko, part of which will be completed by 2025, will cover over 2 million square meters, being one of the largest coastal parks in the world, and will be open to the public . The park has been designed with the biodiversity of the area in mind and, through advanced technological solutions, will fully cover its needs for irrigation and electricity.